5/20/2014

Don't let ENDOMETRIOSIS ALIENATE YOU from enjoying SOCIAL LIFE.


Don't let endometriosis alienate you from social life from Ania on Vimeo.
Eating out can become a challenge while being on a diet, struggling with weight or suffering from health condition and being limited with what you can or can not eat.
That very often becomes a reason why we prefer to stay home and we start to isolate ourselves. And that is leading to much much deeper issues about which I won't talk about in this article.

No one likes to be odd. I am not meaning here: different, original or unique. I am rather talking about someone who is particularly picky about place to eat, food to eat, time to eat and so forth. Even though such demands may come from different reasons then just being capricious, being the centre of attention in such case is not exactly what I would be looking for.

Going out with bunch of people who are not your friends but maybe your potential clients or business parters is not certainly easy especially when you need to take under consideration their preference before yours.

I have been in such situation numerous times and fortunately I found my sweet way around it. Since I am mostly vegetarian and going vegan on occasion it's plenty times out of my way to find a place that would suit my liking. Taking under consideration meaty tastes of others I needed to improve my communication with servers and so far so good.

Of course I don't tell everyone why my food choices are such and not others, That would prolong each meeting and gathering for ages! And frankly who cares why you are weird:-) There is no need to do it anyways, so you can keep your bitter sweet secret for yourself. While everybody else is sitting in a steak restaurant and debating how they want it cooked, I am browsing through salads and veggie sides. They always have it on a menu. I am always the first one who makes up her mind on what she will eat. So from being supposedly moody, I am first one to go!
On the other hand If there is nothing on a menu I could eat without paying for it later with some kind of pain, I kindly approach stuff and ask if they maybe have avocado. Most of the time they do:-) I love this fruit. Its filling, very high in nutrient and makes up for a great meal. Plain with salt pepper and lemon will do it for me, but plenty of times I have been in a restaurant where waitress brought it to me nicely prepared with some salsa or steamed veggies! What a nice surprise that was! I don't know if you are an avocado lover, if you are not yet maybe that is the way to start. It can't hurt you: it's healthy food for your soul and brain.

I was born meat eater with sausage in one hand and sausage in another. When I found out I am suffering from endometriosis I needed to make a major shift and it was not that easy. If I was ever wondering about something in my diet, it was how would I ever do without meat. I didn't have much choice left if I wanted to start feeling better. My body was constantly tired and eating meat and digesting it was taking too much of my energy! Fish came like from heaven. Light, delicate and very fulfilling.  Since most of the restaurants serve it, it makes my life real easy and my belly happy.
And of course I love sushi! Anytime anywhere BUT best I have ever had was In California:-)
Unfortunately many of my friends don't like it because its raw. Hence when I get a chance and get to go with people who choose it, I take advantage if it. I want it all and I eat it all. Good sushi places always have veggie rolls and delicious sea weed salad. Sushi is good, wholesome light food.
Salads of course! They don't have to be boring. Again even if on a menu there is nothing you are crazy about or salads are looking poor and boring, you may certainly ask for add ons. In my eating out history I can not recall one time someone ever turn my request down.
I need to add one very important thing. Maybe you know or maybe not BUT do not eat Ice berg lettuce. I know its juicy and very crunchy and has this nice texture to it but unfortunately it is manufactured and not organic in any shape or form. Instead know that romaine lettuce or mixed greens, arugula and other natural greens are all good, healthy and available in any restaurant. 
Desert time is tempting and challenging. But I believe it is such no matter if you have endometriosis or you are perfectly healthy watching out for your figure. For some reason while going out for dinner we forget about fruit platters and deserts as we think they may be rather served for breakfast or lunch. I hope my article would be as a sweet reminder about juicy, colorful yummy fruit combinations that may be nice accent of your evening. Dragon fruit, star fruit kiwi. If you haven't tried it yet don't wait and treat yourself right away.

I hope you will find my experience helpful and you will not always want to stay at home cause eating out was not fun till now. You do not need to isolate yourself just because your food choices are different. You also do not need to eat things that will make you sick or in pain.
Staying positive and knowing people will work with you should be a nice kick of for you.
Weekend is ahead, make plans and enjoy!

Film by Ewa So



No comments:

Post a Comment