3/22/2014

Keep Calm and Meet Natasha

She is a beautiful young woman, came to this country 19 years ago. She was really the first person I have met when I arrived to Seattle. When we were siting and chatting in her room I was wondering around and I saw so many items that made me feel warm. These subjects brought me nice memories from my childhood as well as they resembled me myself.


Even though it was just the first time I have been in this home and all I knew was the name of the host, I felt as if I have been here before, I felt cozy and had home like feeling. Wow I though, and I smiled and took a comfortable pose in a chair. I looked in front of me and I saw a big bookshelf full of books. After taking a close look at them I realised I would enjoy reading all of them and also I have read some of them already.



We simply just clicked right away without going to any conversation! We come from different countries, as I am Polish and she is Russian, we found each other in Seattle and we were so much alike, I felt it was something special. Then I looked around and…….and I saw a small basket in a corner with nice colourful yarn! Wow I thought and asked: Are you knitting? She said: A little bit. I looked and I was so impressed with her style and patterns. I smiled and said, I was knitting too, and that I loved it! 




I consider knitting as a forgotten art; something about which people may think it is out of style as there is no app for it. But I was so happy to find someone else my age that actually has passion for it. She was great at it! Really! Since I have already been so impressed I finally said: I really like you! And she smiled. I right away knew this would be the beginning of some interesting enterprise. We are taking off and I want you to meet Natasha!


Natasha comes from St Petersburg. She saw her grandma there sawing and knitting for all the ladies in a village. That time it was very difficult to buy garments and on top of it if you were too short or not in a norm, buying practically anything was mission impossible! Like any child Natasha started copying her grandma and she started making clothes for her dolls. She really enjoyed it she said especially in nineties there was not so much to choose from in the stores so you needed to be creative.

One day she finally took her father’s pants and turned them into a skirt! Her mom noticed her passion and incredible  skills then. And she bought her a magazine Burda. That is a fashion magazine where they show you styles and way to make patterns for it.


When the time came to make a decision which kind of collage you are going to go to, despite of seeing her passion formerly noticed by here parents they still decided she should either go for medical or computer science. Natasha was not crazy about her parents dream and she was brave and strong enough to go and follow her own. Her parents were left with no choice and had to support her dream come true. Natasha chose dress making school where you actually learn how to make patterns for clothes, here in this country we call it fashion designing. Her father bought her pattern design book and she took it from there.




Currently Natasha is working as a production associate and technical designer but at her home she is running a creative emporium and she has it in her dream room as she says. Today she took me for a tour and I have discovered much more about her, much more in common and I became much more impressed! When I entered her dream room I saw all the professional machines needed to create any garment from top to bottom. I went and checked her closet and each of the dresses had a story. Each one of them went though evolution and changed her original form.


Natasha goes frequently to Good Will stores and finds there dresses that attract her eye for some reason. They don’t always fit her size and style but if there is any reason why she touch anything she will take it home and turn it into an amazing peace of art! At times it costs her one dollar! Maybe couple at most ten! Let me say it one more time: WOW!



Before she realized she was already repeating the pattern of her grandma who was helping others revamping their wardrobes or simply fitting them to their actual needs. Her dream room holds lots of passion and creativity but for many its is still a secret garden. When I have discovered it I decided I  need to do something about it. It is not ok for such talent to be hidden in the bushes.




This was not the end of my AHA moments in her house. She brought a red box full of buttons, which she made by herself! After I saw this, I decided I need to stop asking her any more questions, as I was already overly excited! Also I needed to leave some for you so that you may look forward for more episodes on that brilliant woman.


Here she comes: Natasha, will be very happy to work with anyone who needs their gourmet designed and created from the very beginning or someone who got bored with the look and want to change it or someone who grow out of it or maybe got lucky and lost some weight and need to take it in! yes, she does alteration too! She is not only talented but extremely nice to work with, I invite you  to come and experience it yourself. You will not regret it.


The look By Natasha is unique one of a kind and this does not mean that it will be expansive. To me she is an expert of how to make one dollar dress, look like one million dollar baby!

Don’t wait and call her for your first appointment!
917-254-0144


All photo by Ewa So.





No comments:

Post a Comment